2014 Disaster Preparedness in ‘At Risk’ Groups
This research report identifies the preparedness of ‘at risk’ communities across the Lake Macquarie, Wyong and Gosford Council areas to climate related natural disasters.
This report documents the outcomes of social research completed by the University of Newcastle within the Lake Macquarie, Wyong and Gosford Local Government Areas to identify:
- risk perception regarding natural disasters within ‘at risk’ communities;
- level and nature of preparedness for natual disasters by ‘at risk’ communities;
- capacity of ‘at risk’ groups to respond and recover from natural disasters; and
- the primary means via which ‘at risk’ groups receive natural disaster warnings and barriers to communication within ‘at risk’ communities.
For the purposes of the research ‘at risk’ communities were defined as:
- Low income households;
- Very young and elderly communities;
- People with disabilities; and
- Culturally and Linguistically Diverse (CALD) communities.