HCCREMS has been working with member councils since 2008 on numerous environmental compliance initiatives – all designed to assist with improving standards, systems and practices relating to compliance with and enforcement of environmental legislation.
Our Program aims to:
- build the commitment, capacity, skills and resources of Council staff to effectively and consistently prioritise and enforce environmental legislation and standards
- provide councils with a suite of best practice tools and supporting resources to effectively implement environmental regulation and enforcement activities
- deliver coordinated regional community education and enforcement campaigns targeting regional environmental compliance priorities
- facilitate the establishment of partnerships and resource sharing between councils and other organisations, to support the ongoing implementation of collaborative enforcement and compliance campaigns
- improve the nature and consistency of data collection across the region to allow the identification of regional trends and priorities.
Since 2008 we have completed a number of projects that have been recognised as industry best practice.