Regional Policy and Program Manager
• Develop, advocate and deliver policy and programs on behalf of the Hunter Region and its member Councils
• Lead and manage the Hunter Joint Organisation’s Environment Program
• Dramatically expand your network and build key stakeholder relationships
• Be part of creating a sustainable future for the Hunter Region and Central Coast
The Hunter is one of Australia’s leading regional economies, one that is entering a new and exciting phase with a growing metropolitan area, greater economic diversification and global gateways that link the region to the rest of the world. Home to more than 860,000 people and growing, the Hunter’s thriving metropolitan cities, towns and villages, rural landscapes, stunning coasts, mountains and waterways, and biodiversity-rich natural environment make the Hunter one of the great places to live and work.
To assist in leading and shaping this new period of regional growth and transition, the Hunter JO is inviting applications for the role of Regional Policy and Program Manager.
The primary focus of the role will be leading and managing the Hunter JO’s long established and respected Environment Program (HCCREMS). This program services the 10 Hunter JO Member Councils and Central Coast Council in delivering directly on the action areas from the Hunter Joint Organisation Strategic Plan to “protect the enviable environment for future generations and ensure resources are used efficiently”.
Working for the collaborative body of the Hunter’s Councils
The Hunter Joint Organisation (Hunter JO) is the hub for local government collaboration, striving to strengthen communities by facilitating evidence-based strategic outcomes for the Region. A progressive and visionary organisation, the Hunter JO creates and has input on a diverse range of projects that are both imperative and interesting. Its principal functions include:
• Regional strategic planning and priority setting
• Intergovernmental collaboration
• Shared regional leadership and advocacy
The role forms part of the Hunter JO’s newly established Regional Policy and Programs Division, established to facilitate and drive delivery of collaborative and evidence-based strategic outcomes across the range of action areas identified in the Strategic Plan. It will work closely with other Hunter JO staff including the CEO, Executive Officer, Divisional Director, other Regional Policy and Program Managers, Project Coordinators and technical staff. It will also work with a growing and expanding range of external stakeholders including member Councils (staff and elected officials), State and Commonwealth Government agencies, research institutions, business and community groups.
The Regional Policy and Program Manager will be directly responsible for planning and managing the operational delivery of the Hunter JO’s Environment Program. In addition to managing the day-to-day operations of the Environment Team, the role will undertake a range of activities including research, planning, advocacy and project management, that contribute directly to delivery of the Strategic Regional Environmental Directions established for the JO, focusing on:
• Natural Systems
• Environmental Resilience
• Liveable Communities
• Resource Recovery / Circular Economy
• Coordinate multi stakeholder committees and working groups to drive collaborative development of regional policy and advocacy positions and to support regional program delivery.
• Deliver, analyse, synthesise and communicate the outcomes of research addressing a range of technical, scientific, economic, environmental, community, planning and development issues and priorities.
• Provide timely advice, information and briefings to the CEO and Hunter JO Board on regional issues and proposed policy and advocacy positions.
• Develop, communicate and undertake activities, including coordinating the development of regional submissions, to clearly articulate regional policy and advocacy positions of the Hunter JO.
• Design, project manage, evaluate and promote the progress and outcomes of regional programs that address priority regional issues and needs.
• Manage staff, consultants, contractors, project partners and stakeholders to ensure regional programs are delivered within established parameters, timeframes and budgets.
• Design and deliver forums and workshops to build awareness, capacity and commitment to address regional issues and priorities.
• Prepare project/investment proposals, business cases and grant applications to expand the focus and deliverables of Hunter JO regional programs.
• Actively engage with other regions to effectively inform, participate in, and contribute to successful delivery of Hunter JO activities and programs
• Represent the Hunter JO on regional, State or National working groups as required.
Submitting an Application
Applications are to be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org and must include the following:
1. Short cover letter outlining your interest and suitability for the role.
2. Application Form addressing the Essential and Desirable selection criteria.
3. Up-to-date Resume / Curriculum Vitae.
The closing date for applications is 12.00 pm Monday 27th April 2020.
For more information or to discuss the role, contact Steve Wilson – Director Policy and Programs, Hunter Joint Organisation on 0448 401 436 or at email@example.com.