2015 Benefiting from Biodiversity – An investment guide for Property Owners
This publication provides a guide to the opportunities available to the owners and managers of private land with biodiversity values.
These opportunities are grouped into three types of opportunity: Commercial Activities, Income supplementation Activities, and Support Programs.
With a significant proportion of bushland managed for purposes other than wildlife conservation, private landholders play an important role in preserving our region’s unique wildlife. Retaining bushland on private property can contribute to the survival of plants and animals and provide important corridors for wildlife movement. It can also offer production benefits by reducing erosion, providing shade and shelter for stock, and controlling salinity.
Benefiting from biodiversity has been created to help you navigate the government policies and programs that offer support to maximise your biodiversity asset and attract financial return opportunities. Importantly, it summarises the answers to key questions a landowner might ask:
- What financial return is potentially available from managing the natural assets on my land?
- What types of activities qualify for support?
- What land types and land values qualify for support?
- What amount of effort is needed for the amount of return?
- Who can I contact, and what resources exist, if I want to explore a proposal further?